Mahendra Singh Dhoni and his Jharkhand team was rescued from a Hotel in Dwarka Delhi where fire broke out early morning. Dhoni and his team was unaware of the fire until heavy fumes of smoke was filled in the corridor and the hotel rooms. Although MS Dhoni rescued safely along with his team from the hotel safely, but the official are upset about the safety measures kept in the hotel. Dhoni and his Jharkhand team was staying in ITC Hotel in Dwarka Delh and was suppose to play a Vijay Hazare semifinal match against Bengal.
Vijay Hazare semifinal match was to be played in the Air Force Ground, Palam which was called off due to this tragic incident. The Tamil Nadu team which has already qualified the semifinals was also present in the hotel, were rescued safely. The match is now scheduled to take place at Ferozeshah Kotla on Saturday. Mahendra Singh Dhoni, who had no idea about the fire, was sleeping in his room. Until the smoke filled his room, he had no idea about it after which he called the hotel staff which rescued him.
The BCCI has lodged a complain against the hotel for neglecting the safely issues for the players. “We could smell something burning in the room but that was not that strong. At around 7.30 am, when I went in to bathe, all of a sudden there was a lot of smoke and I rushed out picked up valuables and got out of the room to see dense smoke in the corridor. You could barely see beyond 10 metres. There were no fire alarms,” Tapash Charterjee, member of BCCI’s grounds and pitches committee.
“They then switched off the lights and lifts. The teams ran out and luckily, we are all safe. The kit bags of the Jharkhand team were left behind,” Chatterjee informed. While the players were rescued safely, their kits were burnt. “We got a call around 6:30 am alerting them there was a fire inside the Welcome Hotel, which is located in Sector 10, Dwarka. 30 fire tenders pressed to control the fire and the fire was brought under control at 7:50 am,” Delhi Fire Service said.